Your Long Term Care Overview
Plan for a successful future with Long Term Care protection.
Your successful future starts with careful planning to ensure you have the funds that will enable you to live life on your terms. In addition to your savings and investments, your financial plan should prepare you for whatever challenges life brings in the years ahead, including the potential need for Long Term Care. Get the facts on how the need for Long Term Care can impact your income, your assets, your quality of life, and your family’s well-being.
What is Long Term Care?
Long Term Care is the type of ongoing assistance and/or supervision you may need when you are unable to perform normal daily activities on your own, such as bathing, dressing, eating, toileting, or getting in and out of bed. The need for long-term care can arise from physical limitations or a cognitive impairment, such as Alzheimer’s disease.
Who needs Long Term Care?
Although you may require Long Term Care at any point during your life, due to accident or illness, it is most often associated with aging. People are living longer than ever, and the longer you live, the greater the likelihood you’ll need care.
(It is estimated that 70% of people over age 65 will require some period of ongoing assistance at some point in their lives.2 If you were to need care while you’re still young, the costs associated with care may impact your ability to pay your mortgage or your child’s college tuition.)
Where is Long Term Care received?
Long Term Care has evolved considerably over the past few years. Today, there are many options where you can receive care. Most Long Term Care is unskilled in nature, so it’s easily received at home. In addition to Home Care, Long Term Care can be received in Adult Day Care, Assisted Living Facilities, in Nursing Homes, and in Hospice Facility.
Why consider Long Term Care insurance?
The need for Long Term Care may have an immediate impact on your finances if you need to use your income or savings to pay for care. LTC insurance helps you preserve your income so that you and your loved ones can continue to meet everyday expenses without interruption and protect the assets you’ve worked so hard to acquire. In addition, an LTC insurance policy may help give you control over important care decisions by providing:
- A wide range of home health care benefits that allow you to receive care in a familiar setting for as long as possible
- Provides valuable resources, support, and advice
- Access to discounts on care provider services, to help maximize your benefit dollars
- Professional, compassionate support when you need it most
- Caregiver Support Services that provide caregiving and planning assistance should you ever be called on to care for a member of your family
- By having LTCi, it will allow you to receive care in your own home by a person of your choosing and it does not have to be a family member.
With North Dakota long term care insurance, you and your family can have more quality time in today’s busy world. Family members and friends may live far away or have other responsibilities that make it difficult for them to do as much as they might like. With LTC insurance, you may be less dependent on family members for financial or physical assistance. That way, the time you do spend together can be more rewarding and enjoyable.
1. National Vital Statistics Reports, Volume 58, Number 21, June 28, 2010.
2. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, National Clearinghouse for Long-Term Care Information, accessed September 25, 2009.
3. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, National Clearinghouse for Long-Term Care Information, www.longtermcare.gov, 2010.
****All coverage is subject to policy terms and conditions, see you policy for details****