The Legislative Specialist works to enhance NDFUs efforts to influence policymaking as guided through the NDFU Policy & Action. This involves conducting research on current and emerging issues, evaluating the effects of proposed legislation, and coordinating communication of NDFUs advocacy efforts.
Essential Job Duties:
- Reviewing Organizational Policy, State Legislation, and Rulemaking
- Review and evaluates state and federal policies and legislation to determine the benefits and impact of any changes that may occur.
- Conduct research on new and emerging policy issues and economic trends. The Legislative Specialist works with the Legislative Committee and coordinates educational opportunities to inform the committee and membership on current issue areas.
- Stay abreast of developments and changes in government and budget processes. This is usually accomplished through conducting research, attending conferences, meetings, and seminars, and traveling to program sites when necessary.
- Assist the Government Relations Director with drafting memos, regulatory comments, letters, and correspondence with elected officials and state and federal agencies.
- Gathering and Synthesizing Data
- Work closely with the President, Government Relations Director, and Communications Director to gather and analyze pertinent data to support NDFUs policy positions.
- Synthesize data and create relevant charts and graphs for use in NDFUs communications with members and the public.
- Collaborate with fellow staff members and member leaders in order to achieve a common goal, helping set the priorities through member-driven initiatives and providing them with data to support positions
- Communicating internally, externally, and with membership
- Act as a liaison between the Legislative Team and Communications Team to effectively share information about the policies that the grassroots membership has adopted.
- Coordinate the development of the biweekly legislative newsletter and assist Communications Team in developing social media posts and other communications relevant to legislative initiatives.
- Attend meetings with elected officials to help provide the information needed to emphasize the memberships position on legislative initiatives.
- Advise on when issues need the help of other NDFU departments, and help convene meetings of those departments.
- Assist the Member Operations department on appropriate responses to current events and to encourage member engagement.
- Other Duties as assigned
- Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Strong oral and writing skills are required.
- Strong analytical and research skills. Working knowledge of economics preferred.
- Ability to work independently and in a collaborative team environment.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a fast-paced, decision-oriented environment.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to manage multiple tasks.
- Education and Experience Required:
- Bachelors Degree in political science, public policy, public affairs, or related field and experience working with agriculture and/or public policy preferred.
To apply, send resume and cover letter to email@example.com